Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Casey Allen Shobe
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony (Sunday 28 December 2003 10:30)
> The native windows port is certainly useful for me.... when I was
> developing for MySQL applications, I always ran a copy on my Windows
> laptop which started as a service, and was most useful.  I used to Rapid
> Devel and prototype all of my DB apps this way.

In your shoes, I would probably tote along a compact linux machine running
PostgreSQL, and a crossover cable to connect it to the laptop.

> You don't understand the mindset behind the *yapping* MySQL users
> because you DO understand PostgreSQL, because you appear to judge other
> people by your own standards, instead of saying to yourself "There but
> for the Grace of PostgreSQL Go I"

Heh, no.  The complaints I have about MySQL users are those of *ignorant*
MySQL users.  I have a low tolerance of ignorance about *anything*.  I would
be just as annoyed to hear somebody giving false excuses about PostgreSQL to
a MySQL user.

> Try to understand that not everyone is blessed by your knowledge of PG,
> or by your clarity of thought.  It's easy to start throwing stones and
> rocks at people, but I'm sure that we could all be criticised on our
> choice of our software choices in one respect or another, since  none of
> us are beyond reproach, and we can't all be experts at everything.

I'm not trying to throw stones at all.  I'm just saying that there's a lot of
effort involved in making a Windows port that could be better spent working
on general improvements, and that it is not a market that I think PostgreSQL
needs to tackle.  MySQL may run on Windows, but how many people actually
choose MySQL over Microsoft SQL or some other commercial database?  Not many.

> How can you expect someone to understand why Nested Select staments are
> good, if they ndo ot necessarilly understand what they might be good
> for.

Forgive me for not clarifying...but I do explain exactly what I would use them
for, and the people who give me responses *know* why they're useful, because
they come up with a perfectly good alternative to use in MySQL (which works,
but isn't compliant to any standard but their own).  Discussions like this
result from MySQL users trying to convert me to their platform, not the other
way around.  I'm a believer in "use whatever you want".  If you're
underinformed about your decision, that's your problem.  Don't come forcing
it on me ;-).

> 1. They are blissfully ignorant of alternatives and don't know any better.

IMHO, these sorts of people don't need to be running PostgreSQL.  If they've
got something they're happy with, more power to them.  If they want to take
the blinders off and investigate alternatives, there's plenty of information
out there.

> 2.  Don't have the ability to be productive with the alternatives or don't
> have time to learn them (some people need to just use computers without
> making them their lives)

Then they oughtn't be using the alternatives.  These sorts of people should
use what they're used to.  Why try to convert them to PostgreSQL from MySQL
if they're happy with it and resistant to change and learning?

> 3. Use laptops/PCs provided by a work environment and must use Windows/MySQL
> because of Tools, Programs, Applications and don't have the option to
> change.

And again, if their software is dictated by management and management has
given them MySQL, how is porting PostgreSQL to Windows going to help at all?
If anything, these three examples sound like reasons not to bother porting,
rather than encouragement to.

> Zealotry is not good in any form, whether it's pro or anti MySQL, PG,
> Windows or whatever.  Shouting about how another religion is bad doesn't
> make your point of view sound any less fanatical.

I agree completely.  You'll note that I haven't said anything bad about MySQL
or Windows, even though I choose not to use either based on my own opinions.
What I have said is that porting PostgreSQL to Windows is an unwise time
investment, that open-source programs should focus on availability for
open-source platforms, and that people don't often run open-source databases
on Windows anyways (much more common is to see Access or Microsoft SQL).  I
have stated the reasons *I* find PostgreSQL to be a better alternative to
MySQL, since that's the nature of this thread.  I have *not* told you to go
and switch to it.

I think...you read my E-mail quite a bit differently than how I wrote it.

Vertu sæll,

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
http://rivyn.livejournal.com