Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Casey Allen Shobe
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Travers (Saturday 27 December 2003 06:44)
> In short, I do not see MySQL as any sort of threat to PostgreSQL, near or
> long-term.  PostgreSQL will continue when MySQL no longer exists.  Firebird
> is a more serious competitor long-term, though I found it to be hard to
> learn when compared to PostgreSQL.  It has a long way to go before being as
> easy to use as PostgreSQL.

It all depends on the user community.  People thought Christianity was a joke
and would never be a serious threat to the pre-existing religions - look at
the state of things today :\.

You can blind yourselves to the users, but do this for long enough, and you'll
discover you don't have any users, no matter how great your product might be.

We live in a very strange world where people use what they see advertised the
most, or what the most of their friends have told them to use, instead of
doing actual research and making an educated decision.  As a PostgreSQL user,
I've had to deal with at least 20-30 MySQL nazis telling me that *I'm* the
ignorant and accursed one, whereas I've met one guy who likes PostgreSQL.

But I do not think the database needs improvement...IMHO it's already quite a
lot better than MySQL.  I think popular opinion needs to be less ignorant.
And I don't know how to suggest doing that.

P.S.  What's this Firebird thing of which you speak?  Is there now an
open-source DBMS with the same name as an open-source web browser?  Uh-oh...

Vertu sæll,

--
Sigþór Björn Jarðarson (Casey Allen Shobe)
cshobe@softhome.net / http://rivyn.livejournal.com

Free development contributor of: