Re: perl(Pg) (S)RPM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: perl(Pg) (S)RPM
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 01 December 2003 05:49 pm, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Any pointers as to why (really) I'm getting this error when I try to
> install Pg 7.4 from a SRPM build?

>     perl(Pg) is needed by postgresql-contrib-7.4-0.2PGDG

Because Pg is no longer distributed as a part of the main tarball, but a
contrib is being distributed that requires it.  This is an issue with the
main tarball, not with the RPM packaging, IMO.  Someone needs to step up to
the plate and build a Pg RPM that provides the Pg module, one that would
replace the old postgresql-perl subpackage (which no longer exists).  If no
one else can do this, I can, but it's not high on my list of priorities.

> I only disabled tcl, tkpkg, pltcl, and python in the SPEC file.  I could
> not install the contrib stuff but I really want the plperl and plperlu
> languages.

plperl.so is in the postgresql-pl package.  The Pg module is a client side
deal, not a server side PL.

The Rserv contrib is the only thing, AFAIK, that requires the old Pg module.
I don't really want to not distribute it, since I have historically
distributed the contrib tree intact.  That may have to change, I guess.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology