Re: Call from Info World - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Call from Info World
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > It isn't?  The main product of Microsoft isn't a window manager, but
> > Windows is one of their products ... IE is a seperate product, that is
> > bundled with Windows, but, then again, Konqueror is a seperate product
> > bundled with KDE ...
>
> Windows is an operating system and window manager.  For KDE, Unix is the
> operating system.

Windows only evolved to that point ... I can remember when Windows
required a DOS install first ... like the rest of what is in Windows, DOS
got "absorbed" as standard ... note that when you are in Windows, you can
still get to the command.com prompt, and run "DOS" commands ...

Doesn't RedHat have a "desktop edition" that auto-installs everything,
including Window Manager, to "hide" the OS?  Actually, I think with their
shift to Enterprise, that would be "didn't they have", but that is neither
here nor there.  The point is that it would be very easy to create a
distro that hid the OS from the end user, just like Windows ... throw
Samba in on top of that, and you effectively have a Windows Server, no?

 ----