Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Thomas
Subject Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL Advocacy, Thoughts and Comments
Date
List pgsql-general
On 29/11/2003 16:24 Jason Tesser wrote:
> [snip]
> A programmer that doesn't document stuff needs to find a new job :-)

Agreed. So you're replaced him and inherited a documentation-free
application. How many favours has he done you by squirrelling away section
of business logic in the database?

> This is more of an issue with management.  Anyone who does database apps
> for on any kind of a large scale will tell you that views, triggers,
> etc..
> are essential.  I am currently in teh process of writing a complete
> solution
> for the college I develop for.  Finance, accounting, pos, registration,
> student tracking etc...

I've worked on stuff for some of the largest companies in the world if
that counts. Mind you, I've been in the business 24 years (18 of those as
an independent consultant) so maybe I'm just a newbie :)

For your accounting, take a look at SQL-Ledger (www.sql-ledger.org). It
might save you months of effort.

> You might not have understood me or I am not understanding you.

It feels like we're 2 people divided by a common language...

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |