Re: Call from Info World - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Call from Info World
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Neil Conway wrote:
> > Oh, great, there goes that good example.  Are we the only big
> > open-source project that isn't controlled by corporations?
>
> Certainly not.
>
> >> Other projects that I'mm pretty sure aren't corporate-run: Samba,
> >> Abiword, Gnucash, Webmin, OpenGroupware, Hordemail.
> >
> > And who has heard of those?  NO ONE!
>
> You don't judge how big or how significant an OSS project is by how
> many people have heard of it. Judged by that criterion, we certainly
> don't do very well, for example.

We are doing much better than we used to.  I would say most db guys not
involved in open source have heard of PostgreSQL at this point.  Are
other people seeing this?  I am.

> > Samba, maybe, but not really outside open-source circles.
>
> Compared to PostgreSQL, I'm sure Samba is FAR better known outside of
> OSS enthusiasts. The same applies to KDE, which you also suggested
> "isn't known outside open source".

One of the problems with using KDE or Samba is that there isn't
well-known commercial that has a similar function for comparison.