Re: [PERFORM] More detail on settings for pgavd? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: [PERFORM] More detail on settings for pgavd?
Date
Re: [PERFORM] More detail on settings for pgavd?  ("Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 20 November 2003 20:00, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > I will submit a patch that would account deletes in analyze threshold.
> > Since you want to delay the analyze, I would calculate analyze count as
>
> deletes are already accounted for in the analyze threshold.

Yes. My bad. Deletes are not accounted in initializing analyze count but later
they are used.

> > I am still wary of inverting vacuum analyze frequency. You think it is
> > better to set inverted default rather than documenting it?
>
> I think inverting the vacuum and analyze frequency is wrong.

Me. Too. ATM all I can think of this patch attached. Josh, is it sufficient
for you?..:-)

Matthew, I am confyused about one thing. Why would autovacuum count updates
while checking for analyze threshold? Analyze does not change statistics
right? ( w.r.t line 1072, pg_autovacuum.c). For updating statistics, only
inserts+deletes should suffice, isn't it?

Other than that, I think autovacuum does everything it can.

Comments?

 Shridhar