Re: Tuning for mid-size server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Tuning for mid-size server
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:12:15AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> So what is the ceiling on 32-bit processors for RAM? Most of the 64-bit
> vendors are pushing Athalon64 and G5 as "breaking the 4GB barrier", and even
> I can do the math on 2^32.   All these 64-bit vendors, then, are talking
> about the limit on ram *per application* and not per machine?

Or per same-time access.  Remember that, back in the old days on the
pre-386s, accessing the extended or expanded memory (anyone remember
which was which?) involved some fairly serious work, and not
everything was seamless.  I expect something similar is at work here.
Not that I've had a reason to play with 4G ix86 machines, anyway.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110