Getting up and running on Red Hat 9 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Paul Linehan
Subject Getting up and running on Red Hat 9
Date
List pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Linux and totally new to
PostgreSQL, so bear with me please. I do have lots
of experience with Interbase, Firebird, MS SQL
and Oracle.

I have just installed Red Hat 9, which went fine.

I then wanted to install PostgreSQL, so I decided to
go with the one on the Linux distro.

I went to the Services area in the system menu
and ticked the PostgreSQL box. Now, on booting
if I do ps -All | grep postmaster, I get

--
0 S    26  2208     1  0  75   0    -  2392 schedu ?
00:00:00 postmaster

So, I figure that the postgreSQL server is running.

Then, I type (as myself as a user - Paul).

rpm -ivh pgadmin3-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm

But, I have no idea how to start up the admin tool,
or what other steps that I should take to get a
couple of databases up and running so that I can
administer them using the tool.

What do I type and where? At the moment, I don't
wish to install from source!

TIA.

Paul...