Re: backup/restore - another area. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff
Subject Re: backup/restore - another area.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:49:59 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> > The downside is
> > this method will only work on that specific version of PG and it
> > isn't the"cleanest" thing in the world since you are essentially
> > simulating a power failure to PG. Luckly the WAL works like a champ.
> > Also, these backups can be much larger since it has to include the
> > indexes as well. but this is a price you have to pay.
>
> The other downside is, of course, that the database needs to be shut
> down.

I left the DB up while doing this.

Even had a program sitting around committing data to try and corrupt
things. (Which is how I discovered I was doing the snapshot wrong)

You could  do pg_ctl stop; snapshot; pg_ctls tart for a "clean" image.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/