Re: Running Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Aarni Ruuhimäki
Subject Re: Running Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi, ( it's been a while from me, busy ... )

I have only and just my Shrike disks burned and a spare machine to play with,
not actually anything installed yet, so I'm not sure how things work with
9.0, be not too bold go on production with 2.6 ?, but rough guide lines here:

First, you will have to run initdb (as user postgres)

initdb -D /path/to/datadir/(owned by by postgres) -E (for encoding, perhaps
LATIN1 for umlauts to work and sort) -L
/default/onRH7.3/is/usr/local/pgsql/share/or/where/ever/postgres.bki/resides/

This will create your system / cluster.

Then, again as postgres, and by default,

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /path/to/datadir/ -i(for port 5432 from
outside ?) -B (number of buffers) -N (number of connections allowed)

Hope this helps. Please swim for your smile through the docs ...

BR,

Aarni

> Hello
> I have RH9 installed and want to run Postgresql. When I enter rpm -qa |
> grep postgreql I get
> postgresql-libs-7.3.2-3
> postgresql-7.3.2-3
> postgresql-server-7.3.2-3
> I do not know how I can configure postgres so that I can use it!
> Can anybody help please?
> Bantamess

Aarni Ruuhimäki
Megative Tmi