Re: Replication Bundled with Main Source. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Replication Bundled with Main Source.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:28:57PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> open source, we could think about it.  Having looked at the code, I
> think it's definitely not ready for prime time, but it could get there
> with some work.  When it's of comparable solidity to the base project

I agree completely.  You can get a long way with this code -- we've
used a version of it in production for 2 years now -- but it's a long
way from "turn it on and forget it" right now.

I also wonder why there's a push to put "replication" in the main
distribution, though.  I know, I know, the argument is that if you
have to get it separately, it's not the same as the "main" code.  But
it's just not true that Oracle (or whoever you like) "includes"
replication.  You have to buy the right licenses to get the functions
you want, and there are different kinds of subsystems depending on
what needs you have.  (e.g. RAC is gonna be a lousy choice across a
frame-relay VPN.  I shudder to think.)  I suppose someone could
package a "kitchen sink" Postgres which included all kinds of stuff
from gborg.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110