Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:43:04PM -0500, nolan@celery.tssi.com wrote:
> > If an open transaction is not explicitly committed and the client
> > disconnects, it is automatically rolled back.
>
> So what would happen with MySQL?  Does it leave the transaction
> half-committed?  The original implication was that data was lost, which
> is what would happen with an uncommitted PG transaction as well.

It was not clear to me from the article that originally mentioned it
that it had an uncommitted transaction, though it may very well be the
case.

But given that ROLLBACK takes some unreasonable amount of time in MySQL,
what do you really expect?  Did the rollback work when the poweroff was
requested?  Or did it work only halfway, rendering the whole
"transaction" model useless?

A "halfway rollback" would be one of the most stupid things I've heard
about.

"El número de instalaciones de UNIX se ha elevado a 10,
y se espera que este número aumente" (UPM, 1972)