Re: Sun performance - Major discovery! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From pgsql-performance@sysd.com
Subject Re: Sun performance - Major discovery!
Date
List pgsql-performance
In message <Pine.BSF.4.44.0310081408370.64781-100000@torgo.978.org>, Jeff writes:

    I'll go run the regression test suite with my gcc -O2 pg and the suncc pg.
    See if they pass the test.

My default set of gcc optimization flags is:

-O3 -funroll-loops -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions -mcpu=i686 -march=i686

Obviously the last two flags product CPU specific code, so would have
to differ...autoconf is always possible, but so is just lopping them off.

I have found these flags to produce faster code that a simple -O2, but
I understand the exact combination which is best for you is
code-dependent.  Of course, if you are getting really excited, you can
use -fbranch-probabilities, but as you will see if you investigate
that requires some profiling information, so is not very easy to
actually practically use.

                                        -Seth Robertson