Re: performance of foreign key constraints - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: performance of foreign key constraints
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, teknokrat wrote:

> I have a table that has about 20 foreign key constraints on it. I think
> this is a bit excessive and am considering removing them ( they are all
> related to the same table and I don't think there is much chance of any
> integrity violations ). Would this improve performance or not?

It depends on your frequency of inserts/updates to the table with the
constraint and the frequency of update/delete to the table(s) being
refered to. My guess is probably.  You may wish to leave some of the
constraints (decide which are the most important), but 20 does seem a bit
excessive in general.