Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 22 August 2003 18:45, Claudio Lapidus wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
> > linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.
>
> Why do you say performance is no good? I haven't had the occasion to
> compare on similar hardware. Did you?
>
> Besides that, I don't usually select Sun/Solaris for raw performance alone,
> in most server applications, stability and availability are much more
> important and this is where Solaris shines. And if I need something
> *really* fast, I always would try to go with Alpha.

I specifically said low end machine. I have not seen a sparc machine running a
SCSI disk. i.e my experience with solaris is limited. But I have seen two
machines in a migration project here from solaris+oracle to AIX+DB2. I know
there are too many variables here but AIX+DB2 combo vastly outperforms
solaris+oracle AFAIK. In particular a report took half the time on AIX than
that of oracle for almost same combo, the developer tells me..

 Shridhar