Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 08:38:14PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> If a database is clean i.e. no dead tuple, an autovacuum daemon with 1 min
> interval can achieve pretty much same result, isn't it?

But we're talking about the case of large, busy databases that have
already choked their disks.  We have the same problem here in our
test machines.  We start running load tests, and with vacuums nicely
scheduled and everything we start topping out on the performance
pretty quickly, because of I/O bottlenecks on the database.  We know
the difference in I/O bandwidth between our test env. and the
production env., so we can put in a fudge factor for this; but that's
it.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110