Re: PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Please keep your replies on-list.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:04:53PM +0200, U.Oeder wrote:
> Sorry about the MySQL stuff in the post , got my messages messed up.
> But while we are on the subject. I don't have to make the interface
> that works/links to the PostgreSQl database engine open source ??? Or
> am I misunderstanding your license ?

First, it is not *my* license.  Second, IANAL (again).  Third, you are
not being very clear (again).

Nevertheless, if you are referring to the Cygwin license:

    http://cygwin.com/licensing.html

then the following is the essence:

    If you distribute binaries linked against the Cygwin DLL, then you
    must also distribute (or at least make available) the corresponding
    source to satisfy the GPL.

Hence, if your code does not link against the Cygwin DLL, then you do
not need to distribute its source.  However, you do need to distribute
the source for PostgreSQL, the Cygwin DLL, and any other (e.g., sh)
Cygwin binary that you distribute.

Jason