Re: On Linux Filesystems - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: On Linux Filesystems
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:36:21AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> So it's a tradeoff with loss of performance vs. recovery time.   In
> a server room with redundant backup power supplies, "clean room"
> security and fail-over services, I can certainly imagine that data
> journalling would not be needed.

You can have all the redundant power, high availability hardware, and
ultra-Robocop security going, and still have crashes: so far as I
know, _nobody_ makes perfectly reliable hardware, and the harder you
push it, the more likely you are to find trouble.  And certainly,
when you have a surprise outage because the CPU where the kernel
happened to be burned itself up, an extra hour or two offline while
you do fsck is liable to make you cry out variations of those four
letters more than once. :-/

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110