Dealing with commas in fields - Mailing list pgsql-general

From MT
Subject Dealing with commas in fields
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm using Postgresql to store customer and product information. Since this is a French language database, some of the
namesinclude commas. Information entered into this database is via html forms and php scripts. When I search the
databasewith a partial name that includes a comma, such as D'Abcd, the database takes longer to find the record I'm
lookingfor than if I searched the database with a partial name that does not include a comma, such as Abcd. I' ve also
noticedif I D'Abcd in a php variable, which is diplayed as the title in the html header, it shows up as D\\\'Abcd, if
thisvariable is passed and displayed in the next page, it shows up as d\\\\\\\\'Abcd.

Is there a way to enter names with a comma into a field without it causing this strange behavior.

--
Regards,

M. Tessier