Re: Suggestions for the next version - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Brage Førland
Subject Re: Suggestions for the next version
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 07:44:03PM +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Brage Førland wrote:
>

> >2. Add a 'View' tab to the pane, essentially an in-place version of the
> >'view
> >  data' window. This makes it much more easy to browse through many
> >  tables.

> Hm, don't really like that. Putting the DataView in the lower right
> corner has several disadvantages: it's small and for worse it's slowing
> down object browsing, which contradicts the intention.

A data view in the right pane could be in addtion to the larger window you
get if you choose 'view data' from the context menu. It wouldn't be that
small if the right pane wasn't divided in two sections. It also should not
have any impact on performance unless the user has the view data-pane in
focus.

>                                                        The Query Tool
> doesn't belong logically into that corner, actually it can be regarded
> separated from the browsing tree at all (and it needs its separate
> menu). So I think it's best the way it is now, and Borland just tried to
> marry everything into one window, if it belongs together or not.

An in-place SQL-tool would make sense for the DDL. If you choose av view,
select the SQL-tab, you'd get the DDL for the view, which you might edit and
run. Beeing able to run an arbitary SQL query in the window would just be a
bonus.

--
Brage Førland