Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hans, I am a little confused about what you are suggesting.  Are you
suggesting flag to the make of the contrib module rather than configure
tests?

I agree this is a killer feature for many people and would like to have
it in 7.4.

Hans-J�rgen Sch�nig wrote:
> > I think for that very reason (SQL-MED) we need to come to terms with
> > this issue. If/when connections to external data sources is in the
> > backend, you'll have those exact same dependencies. And in fact, we do
> > today: consider '--with-openssl' or '--with-tcl'.
> >
> > I had always assumed we would need '--with-oracle', '--with-jdbc',  etc
> > (or whatever you want to call them) to support backend connections to
> > external sources. And this discussion is the very reason I was hesitant
> > to pursue dblink_ora or jdbclink now, because I didn't think people
> > would be comfortable with configure options to support a contrib library.
> >
> > Joe
>
> If dblink was a core module I would say that adding the configure stuff
> would be very natural. Since this is contrib stuff I was not that sure
> about configure anymore. We will need additional flags for external data
> sources in the (hopefully) near future so I think we should add it.
>
> Personally I tend to think about a solution like that. dblink has a
> great future and many people simply love it (I cannot think of a
> customer who does not like it - it is a killer feature):
>
> - implement the concepts proposed by Joe on this list yesterday (I am
> talking about the functions dblink should provide)
> - add support to configure
> - merge dblink with dblink_ora as soon as the changes are ready
> - adapt jdbc_link and merge it with dblink
> - implement dblink_db2, dblink_csv, dblink_xml, and maybe some others
> - leave it in contrib because this way it will be shipped with the core
> distribution and people will use it more frequently
>
> I hope that I will finish the Oracle stuff (named connections, ...)
> within the next 3 days.
>
>     Regards,
>
>         Hans
>

> --
> Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
> Ludo-Hartmannplatz 1/14, A-1160 Vienna, Austria
> Tel: +43/2952/30706; +43/664/233 90 75
> www.cybertec.at, www.postgresql.at, kernel.cybertec.at

Pennsylvania19073