Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...
Date
Re: dblink_ora - a first shot on Oracle ...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Of course, PostgreSQL will still install without the Oracle libraries.

Of course, if you want dblink to use Oracle libraries, you have to
install the Oracle libraries first, or rerun configure after you install
them and reinstall dblink.

I don't see the problem.

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Joe, I can do the configure detection of the Oracle library needed for
> > /contrib.
>
> I have a philosophical problem with putting Oracle detection code into the
> PostgreSQL build system.  That way, you create a dependency that Oracle
> needs to be installed before you install PostgreSQL, but of course we want
> PostgreSQL to be first.  Consider where this will be going.  Soon,
> configure will be full with detection code for half a dozen other database
> systems.  Perhaps a plug-in architecture for dblink is a better solution.
> Or make dblink a separate project.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Pennsylvania19073