Re: Pgsql - Red Hat Linux - VS MySQL VS MSSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Pgsql - Red Hat Linux - VS MySQL VS MSSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 12:51:02PM -0700, Balazs Wellisch wrote:
> > Alternatively, you simply compile 7.3.3 from source. I've upgraded most my
> > machines that way.
> >

> Unfortunatelly, compiling from source is not really an option for us. We use
> RPMs only to ease the installation and upgrade process. We have over a
> hundred servers to maintaine and having to compile and recompile software
> everytime a new release comes out would be waaaaay too much work.

If you aren't settled on OS yet, take a look at FreeBSD, or one of the
linuxes that have better app management. Keeping pgsql up-to-date using
ports on FreeBSD is pretty painless (for that matter, so is keeping the
OS itself up-to-date).
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant                  jim@nasby.net