Re: [ Private ] Translation into Urdu - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: [ Private ] Translation into Urdu
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dear Mahin,

Thank you for contacting us. We are delighted to know that you could possibly
add Urdu and Sindhi support to pgadmin3. Are these languages from Northern
India and Pakistan?

We will support you during the translation process. I added you to the
translator page, in order to be sure that two people are not working on the
same languages.

Also, please note that my private email is jm@poure.com. I will send you my
ICQ address separately.

> Noted at the link you do not have any one for Urdu and Sindhi.
> If you do not find some one else offering to do the job then I will try
> and do that once I have found way to save Urdu text in UTF-8 encodings.
> Any idea if POedit can do that ?

poEdit can be used for Arabic cursives. If you want to use RTL (Right to Left)
display under GNU/Linux, you can either:

- use our poEdit version:
http://www.pgadmin.org/snapshots/linux/redhat9/poEdit/
http://www.pgadmin.org/snapshots/linux/mandrake91/poEdit/

- or try Kbabel, the KDE translation tool included in every GNU/Linux
distribution.

The Windows version of poEdit should support RTL right out of the box.

Please note that the locales should be:
ur_pk Urdu (Pakistan)
sd_IN Sindhi (India)

> I have heard that one can use WinXP but I am looking for some thing for
> Linux. If you could suggest some editor for saving text in Urdu then I
> will do the translation as well save it in format you need, else I will
> translate it and save in format readable by Inpage or as GIF image. I
> have not tried but I think there is a way to convert Inpage file into
> Unicode format but not sure if that would be of any use to you.

As Urdu and Sindhi are written in cursive Arabic, they should display well
under GNU/Linux and Windows XP. Under GNU/Linux, I recommend using kate
(http://kate.kde.org) which is part of KDE and provided in any recent
distribution like RedHat 9. Kate supports RTL.

> If translation save into Inpage file and later converted into Unicode
> format is acceptable, then I can take care of Urdu and Sindhi.

Possible, but it is easier to work inside poEdit or Kbabel. Also, it will make
updates more easy. Why not try poEdit or Kbabel?

> Sorry to have bothered you with these issues, please ignore this.
> Meanwhile I will keep my search on and see if I can find a way of saving
> text in format you can use and will contact you again if no one else has
> done translation.

Maybe you could translate the first 30 entries in each language and send me
the files. Then, we can be sure the display is OK.

Do not hesitate to contact me for help at any moment. Also, don't loose time
compiling yourself, it is preferable to install the binary snapshots.

Best regards,
Jean-Michel