Re: Need vols to work on 7.4 Announcement - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Need vols to work on 7.4 Announcement
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 04 July 2003 02:51, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Oh, and the PGSQL client librarys are apparently now thread-safe, which is
> a major Apache compliance hurdle down.

Josh, FWIW, libpq has been mostly thread-safe for a long time.  Not to
downplay the work done by Lee and others, but I've run PostgreSQL as a
backend for AOLserver for 6 years.  AOLserver is the original multithreaded
webserver (google for NaviServer, which, in 1995, became one of if not the
first commercial webserver, from day one multithreaded with database access
built in, scripted with Tcl and pooled database access also from day one).
AOLserver is, as of version 3.0 (four years old) dual licensed under the
GPL/APL (AOLserver Public License, a variant of the Netscape/Mozilla Public
License).

PostgreSQL holds up extremely well driven by a multithreaded front end.  I
look forward to seeing what sort of performance improvement or stability
improvement Lee's work will produce.  As I maintain the PostgreSQL database
driver for AOLserver, I look forward to seeing how I can make connections
more robust with the improved threadsafeness.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio