Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > No.  I want to know what the subordinate does when it's promised to
> > commit and the co-ordinator never responds.  AFAICS the subordinate
> > is screwed --- it can't commit, and it can't abort, and it can't expect
> > to make progress indefinitely on other work while it's holding locks
> > for the not-quite-committed transaction.
>
> It takes itself offline and you need to resync it later??

Hrmmm, I see Tom's point (I think!) ... but what if, for instance, the
co-ordinator crashes?  From the subordinates point of view, it has the
complete transaction to commit, but the co-ordinator has gone down without
telling it to do so ...