PostgreSQL & SQL Compliance - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject PostgreSQL & SQL Compliance
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Paul,

"Please help.  I\'m looking for anything that says \"PostgreSQL is SQL92
complient\" for my boss.  Can you get me anything?"

Please say "Hi" to Dave for me.   I'm assuming he's your boss, if you're in
the IT Dept.

The SQL standard is a product of the American National Standards Institute
(ANSI).   As far as I know, ANSI does not give out compliance certifications
for any standard.  Further, no database of any kind is 100% complaint;
compliance is a process, not a state.

That being said, complaince with the SQL-92 and SQL-99 standards are among our
highest goals for PostgreSQL.  Some references:
http://advocacy.postgresql.org/advantages/   (scroll down toward the bottom of
the page)
http://www.unt.edu/benchmarks/archives/2001/june01/postg.htm
http://www.paragoncorporation.com/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=11
http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/c1164.htm

As you can see, PostgreSQL is frequently cited as being among, if not the
most, SQL-compliant RDBMS.   Certainly we are more standards-compliant than
MS SQL Server or Oracle.

Please tell Dave that if he needs further professional advice regarding
adopting PostgreSQL I am available to him as a courtesy.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Advocacy Volunteer