Re: Not a valid archive? - newbie question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Not a valid archive? - newbie question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Jeremy Speer wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Newbie here.... with hopefully a newbie question.
>
> I'm running pg 7.2.3 on RedHat 8... so far with tremendous success.
>
> I did a pg_dump of a fairly large DB sometime ago... and now i'm trying
> to pg_restore it.
>
> I get a reponse saying "does not appear to be a valid archive"
>
> I can view the dump in a text editor.... it *seems* fine and intact.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you did a text format pg_dump (ie no -F option) then you use psql to
restore it.  pg_restore is for the special archive file formats.

In this case I think it's in the current pg_dump man page.  I'd guess it's
in 7.2's as well, but I don't have a system to check.