Adjusting fsm values was Re: [BUGS] db growing out of proportion - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Robert Creager
Subject Adjusting fsm values was Re: [BUGS] db growing out of proportion
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hey Tom,

Sorry for the long delay.  I'd been having mail trouble, and your and
postgresql mail servers were bouncing me because Starband (my ISP)
doesn't setup a full DNS entry for their clients.  I'm now relaying
through another host.

I'm posting to the performance list, as it seems more appropriate there.

The results were not as clear cut as I would of thought.  If either
fsm_relations, fsm_pages or sort_mem were dropped to their original
values, the queries went from 3 hours to not completing 9/15 sets after
13 hours. When the shared buffers were reverted, the set completed in 12
hours.

I didn't capture any explains for the problem settings, but will be
happy to do so if you would like to see some of the results (if they are
different).  I'm almost caught up with importing new data (too much rain
around here to take new data), and can explain away this weekend.

Cheers,
Rob

--
O_