Re: Postgresql & AMD x86-64 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin D. Weinberg
Subject Re: Postgresql & AMD x86-64
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi folks,

We recently built a dual K8D-based Opteron box running Linux in 64-bit
mode (Debian 'testing' distribution with newly compiled binutils, gcc,
and various support libraries for amd64 architecture).

The Postgres 7.3.3 "port" was simply a matter of setting the appropriate
flags to take of the biarchectecture nature of the Linux port.  (that is,
"-m64" to generate 64 bit code and either "gcc -m64" or "ld -melf_x86_64"
for linking").  There were no other issues in the compile.  In the
install, I had to re-init due to the incompatibility of pg_control.

All the regression tests went smoothly (the one "failure" was in geometry
and is due to round off in the least sig figs of the doubles in the Point
structure or machine zero differences).

I compared a simple query on local data in both 32bit mode and 64bit mode;
the execute time difference was not significant but this was not a compute
intensive verification (summing up column values in a table).  We have
some other 32-bit amd machines here; I would be happy to try a few other
tests.

Good job, developers!!!

--
Martin Weinberg                      Phone: (413) 545-3821
Dept. of Astronomy                   FAX:   (413) 545-4223