Re: The best - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: The best
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 29 May 2003 7:55 am, Saravanan Thulukanam wrote:
> Can you experts out there tell me whether MySQL is great or PostgreSQL is
> great.

Both can be "great" depending on your evaluation criteria. Most people on this
list will prefer PostgreSQL otherwise they wouldn't be here. Look carefully
at your requirements, decide what feature-set you need (degree of transaction
support, schemas, views, rules, triggers, procedural languages etc.) and then
do some performance testing on sample data and hardware. Finally,
availablility and licencing issues will need to be considered (read the MySQL
page on commercial usage). Oh - be sceptical about any benchmarks you see
that haven't been produced by yourself.

If that answer is vague, then I'm afraid so was the question.

HTH

--
  Richard Huxton