Re: language "plpgsql" does not exist - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From PeterKorman
Subject Re: language "plpgsql" does not exist
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 06:40:04AM -0700, Bruce Young wrote:
> Whoa!  thanks a lot guys. didnt RTFM enough.
> i now got it working from the following command:
>
> $ createlang plpgsql <dbname>
>
> Question is: why did it prompt me to enter my password so many times?  4 to be
> exact.
> i only have one user besides postgres.
>
> thanks again.

I'm 3 days into postgresql so dont chisel this answer into stone.

I just went through a hunt for this. If you want the plpgsql language to
show up in all your databases then connect to template1
and do the work within the psql client. I don't see any way to use
createlang on template1. But that will save you doing it on
all your databases.

There must be some overhead on this onaccounta it is not part
of template1 to begin with. Odd.

Apparently there are a multitude of possible languages you
can install. PL/Perl, PL/TCL ..., Etc.

Cheers,

JPK