Re: Database server restarting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Database server restarting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 06 May 2003 11:11, shoaib wrote:
> Our server reboots at 1 aM in the morning and the job I mentioned starts
> at 4 aM in the morning and the job ended at 4.13 AM. This process is
> database extensive around 10000 records are updated / inserted.Can it be
> the cause of this problem.  After this thing happened my server just
> hangs.
>
> Last night I faced the same problem again on another server and it was
> after yet another DB extensive process.
> The  system has 1 GB RAM, 1 GHZ processor and RAID 1 installed on it and
> Red Hat linux 7.3.
> We are about to install 70 such servers.

I am sure there is something not very correct here. You should not need a
server restart. I would like to see your database configuration options,
patterns in data access and min/max/avg load on each server.

10K records isn't much. Certainly not for that kind of hardware..

I am still bothered by the fact that you reboot your server daily. Can't find
a good reason from above description..

 Shridhar