Re: Optimizing POSTGRESQL config - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From eurlix
Subject Re: Optimizing POSTGRESQL config
Date
Re: Optimizing POSTGRESQL config
List pgsql-novice
Le Fri, 02 May 2003 16:22:00 +0200
Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at> a écrit:

> Who sold you a 1.2 GHz machine with 128 MB?  Next time better buy
> 600 MHz and 256 MB RAM ;-)  So the short answer is:  Buy more
> memory. OTOH you *can* configure Postgres to run satisfactorily on
> small hardware.

 I agree with you, memory seem to be more important than CPU speed.
 (But it's not easy to found now less than 4 GHz CPU speed at the street corner)

 Have you an idea how to configure an AMD 800 MHz with 512 Mo of RAM
 for <= 16 users ?

> 32 MB sort mem together with 90 MB shared memory, so a single sort
> can cause your system to start swapping, not to mention Apache and
> other processes running on that system...

  Without Apache or others ... for now.

> >fsync = false
>
> Only do this if you don't care for consistency after a crash.

 Really dangerous with a Mylex DAC960 Accelraid ... wich seem
 to sync when it want ?

> >LC_MESSAGES = 'en_US.iso885915'
> >LC_MONETARY = 'en_US.iso885915'
> >LC_NUMERIC = 'en_US.iso885915'
> >LC_TIME = 'en_US.iso885915'
>
> This may slow down certain kinds of queries, locale C seems to be a
> better choice if you have speed in mind. Search the archives for
> details.

 Can you explain a little more or give the archives references ?

Many thanks for answer,
--
Alain Lucari (Eurlix)