Re: Solaris - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Solaris
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 11:19:47PM +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Just out of curiousity,  where are you seeing the effect of this the most?
> (Running through my mind is the thought that VM management in Linux is
> not so hot either....)

The problems seem to be somewhat related to load.  With no load, of
course, everything is real fast.  But with any sort of load, we get
occasional spikes of unexpectedly slow performance, even on things
like INSERT.  Some of this I have been able to attribute to
maintenance issues, but not all of it.  We see from truss, however,
that a significant amount of timee is spent in the SYSV system
calls, so it appears that there is some kind of inefficiency there.
Sorry I'm not able to provide more detail; as I say, I'm not real
happy with the extent of the tests I've been able to conduct, and in
any case, the problems aren't reproducable at will.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110