Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of - Mailing list pgsql-general

From nolan@celery.tssi.com
Subject Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of
Date
List pgsql-general
> Legato had shown a couple years ago already that Networker can backup
> more than a Terabyte per hour. They used an RS6000 with over 100 disks
> and 36 DLT 7000 drives on 16 controllers if I recall correctly ... not
> your average backup solution but it's possible. But I doubt one can
> configure something like this with x86 hardware.

Having just set up a system with 240GB of disk space as a testbed system,
the production system may be larger, I'd be interested to know what the
high-end backup options are on x86 hardware and Linux/FreeBSD, but that's
only part of the problem here.

You can't (or shouldn't) back up the data files in pgsql if the database
is running.
--
Mike Nolan
-