Re: Tech Docs and Consultants - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Scott,

> my contributions are still welcome. I'd really like to see all the
> websites in the same place, with a publically accessible repository,
> with commit emails, with public mailing lists. Developed like a source
> code project. Can Bricolage (or whatever CMS system you're leaning
> toward now) do that?

I'm not sure what CMS system I'm leaning toward; I need to do a review.
However, here are the characteristics I'm leaning toward for Techdocs and
jobs.postgresql.org if I can manage it:

1) Any authorized user will be able to edit content through webforms, possibly
through another system as well (WebDAV, maybe?).  Both wiki-editing and HTML
should be available.
2) All content will be version-archived.
3) The site will be heirarchically organized, and search-indexed,
automatically.
4) We need some form of multi-lingual support (can anyone help with this?  I
haven't done a mulit-lingual app before.)
5) Site admin will be a function of the CMS application, not of command-line
permissions on the web server, so that others can share admin duties.
6) It will include a full-fledged wiki component, as well as some non-wiki
areas.

Once again, I am not interested in working with CVS.  As I see it,
content-focussed satellite sites (like TechDocs) are where the less
Unix-inclined amoung PostgreSQL's supporters can make contributions.  As
such, contributing content should not require specialized software or
technical knowledge beyond that required to write the content.

The above requirements probably mean that I will need to create my own CMS,
possibly by down-scaling Bricolage or up-scaling PHPWiki, or similar.  I'll
get it done; I just had a contract cancelled and need to improve some of my
web-scripting skills.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions