Re: Bizarre 7.3.2 bug - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: Bizarre 7.3.2 bug
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > 3) Add an upgrading note in the 7.4 release notes to the extent of
> >    ''::INT is now an error and code must be fixed accordingly.
>
> How exactly would this differ from the statement already prominently
> made in the 7.3 release notes?
>
>        An empty string (<literal>''</literal>) is no longer allowed as
>        the input into an integer field.  Formerly, it was silently
>        interpreted as 0.

Hrm...  good point.  ::shrugs:: Horde and RT be damned.  It's been
~8mo since that change was made so I'm not that inclined to continue
to support their brokenness and would rather remove the patch and bring
BSD inline than be the catalyst for having PostgreSQL make a bad
change (adding a GUC) to support this.  User communities need to chirp
to their nearby Horde/RT developer to have them fix their code.  The
patch will live on in CVS if people really need this behavior.

Actually, the "correct" behavior is for a patch to be made for horde
and RT to fix their behavior and for that to be submitted back to the
respective horde && RT developers.  Once such a patches exist, I can
add them to the ports so that FreeBSD folks still continue to have
their applications function as expected.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden