Re: pg_clog woes with 7.3.2 - Episode 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Subject Re: pg_clog woes with 7.3.2 - Episode 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Brown wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Still, I've now tried a 29160N adaptor, and changed the
> > cable to a DPT one (both that and the previous Adaptec have hardwired
> > terminators). I've also removed the DAT drive from the system so the
> > only things on the SCSI bus are 2 identical disks and the adaptor.
> >
> > I'm beginning to wonder about my shiny new 2.4.20 kernel...
>
> That's a possibility.  There's one other I'd try, prior to using a
> different kernel: try booting the kernel with the "noapic" option.  On
> certain SMP systems, this has allowed the kernel to come up properly
> and see the SCSI adaptor (among other things), whereas without it the
> system would hang on attempts to access the SCSI device.  Even if
> you're not running SMP, it may help your system's stability.

The "noapic" option seems a quasi-magical elixir for many sorts of ailments.

I upgraded a box to 2.4.20 and discovered that my NIC was no longer properly
recognized until I threw that option in.  Others in my office have
/apparently/ the same hardware, and found they didn't need the option.

As a "fix," it certainly seems to fall into the "snakeoil/superstition"
category.  While it often seems to have a useful effect, I haven't located any
actual explanations as to why it should be expected to work.

But based on the comments in the thread, I would concur that my suspicions
would be with the kernel as the most likely root of the problem.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/nonrdbms.html