Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 15 April 2003 22:25, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > That is an unfair comparison. The technical differences between BSD and
> > linux are not as much as postgresql and mysql. Besides what is the
> > parallel of SQL standard in OS world? POSIX? And both BSD/linux are doing
> > fine sitting next to each other on that.
>
> Agreed, Linux and BSD are pretty close --- but Linux used to be behind
> BSD --- they caught up because both are open source.  The big question
> is whether MySQL (which isn't openly developed) will catch up to
> PostgreSQL.  And if they do catch up, will we have mind share parity by
> that time?

That is a tough question. But if we focus on enterprise features and reach
threshold in decision making circles, that would be great.

Mind share parity certainly matters. Bigger question is in which circles. I
would better put decision making circle as fist target.

Besides we won't sit still while mysql catches with us.
Shridhar