Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 15 April 2003 16:03, Network Administrator wrote:
> Quoting Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>:
> > that matter)) upgrade path -- virtually all other daemons are capable of
> > reading the old configs and data files or there is some form of data
> > migration tool packaged that does not require the old version to use.

> Ahhhh, ok.  I see what you're saying.  I guess the way I look at that is
> that you have the OS and then you have the stuff that runs on the OS.

PostgreSQL, as packaged i Red Hat Linux (since version 5.0) is considered part
of the OS.  For Red Hat.  YMMV, YOMV, etc.

> Ok, I what you're saying here.  I must have mis-read the original email
> 'cause I thought this a PostgreSQL upgrade not a migration from MySQL

No, I was using the MySQL upgrade process as a contrasting example to the way
we do it.  The upgrade in question was PostgreSQL to PostgreSQL of different
major versions.

For a from-source Linux distribution with interesting dependency resolution,
check out Gentoo.  You build your entire dist from source.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio