Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net> writes:
> > That's a pretty reasonable thought. I work for a shop that sells
> > Postgres support, and even we install MySQL for the Q&D ticket tracking
> > system we recommend because we can't justify the cost to port it to
> > postgres. If the postgres support were there, we would surely be using it.
>
> > How to fix such a situation, I'm not sure. "MySQL Compatability Mode,"
> > anyone? :-)
>
> What issues are creating a compatibility problem for you?

Erm...reserved words?  "Freeze" is a reserved word, for instance, and
that actually bit me when converting an MS-SQL database...

I have no problem with reserved words in principle, at least when they
refer to the SQL-standard commands and their options, but it's not
clear that turning options (such as FREEZE) for PG-specific commands
(such as VACUUM) into reserved words is a good idea.  But it may not
be possible to avoid it, unfortunately.  :-(

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com