Re: Tech Docs and Consultants - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date
Re: Tech Docs and Consultants  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Re: Tech Docs and Consultants  (greg@turnstep.com)
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc,

> Josh, from what I could tell on the Zapatec site, it looks like you are
> looking at a Java Servlet, vs PHP, migration?  Would Enhydra,
> Jakarta-Tomcat or JBoss (is there something else I haven't installed yet?)
> help you with this?

Sorry, I was too abrupt with that idea.   Here's the skinny:

I'd like to take over Techdocs.   I have several articles which have not been
posted due to the current techdocs format (raw HTML) and Justin's
unavailibility.   And it's the kind of contribution to PostgreSQL I'd like to
make.

However, I can only reasonably manage Techdocs if it's on a production-ready
Content Management System, with simplified page editing, multi-user rights
management, and revision history.   I have investigated this extensively, and
there are *no* production-ready, pure OSS, CMS for PostgreSQL running on PHP
or Perl.  I was looking at developing one with Andy Chase (based on his
"SnapSnap"), but then he got a job and Zapatec announced the launch of Bloki.

Zapatec runs on PostgreSQL, are supporters of our community, and have offered
to host a PG satellite site for free.   They have huge bandwidth as well.
And their Bloki service, if it works as advertised (I haven't yet had time to
test extensively) should meet the needs of Techdocs almost exactly.
Particularly since Dror is likely to be willing to help with customizations.

If I try to manage Techdocs on the current platform, I will find myself in
exaclty the same place as Justin for most of 2002 ... unable to accept any
new content because I have 80 hours of platform upgrade ahead of me.

Make more sense, now?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions