Re: Load times on RAID0 compared to RAID5 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Load times on RAID0 compared to RAID5
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 04:23:03PM +0200, Howard Oblowitz wrote:
> We find that the load times are about 50% slower when we use a
> RAID5 disk system as compared to when we use RAID0

Well, given that RAID 5 has to do some calculation and RAID 0
doesn't, I shouldn't think this is very surprising.

You should let us know what disk subsystem you have, &c.  It's
impossible to give any advice on the basis of the little that's here.
RAID performance is linked to its configuration and the hardware and
software in use.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110