Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual?
Date
List pgsql-general
> > PostgreSQL writes out postmaster.pid in the data directory then
> > link()'s it to postmaster-%d.pid.  I don't see where the problem
> > is in that.
>
> If you do that then I don't see what the advantage is.  I thought
> you meant this as a way of avoiding PID collisions after a reboot.

It's a shared piece of information that can be used to determine if
the postmaster is up and returning valid results if, at the protocol
level, there was support for having the postmaster return the time at
which it was started.  ... like a status bit or query type that
doesn't require authentication that way the startup scripts will
always work regardless of the authentication method in place.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden