Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: pgsql password when FreeBSD boots -- what's usual?
Date
List pgsql-general
> During the bootup monologue, in the middle of init-ing the usual daemon
> processes, I suddenly get a Password: prompt. I enter the postgres
> user's password for the one database I'm running, and pgsql prints its
> name out and boot proceeds otherwise normally.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is because I have password or reject on every entry
> pg_hba.conf, so I thought I'd ask what most people do.

Some folks use ident to get around this, others just trust local.  I
personally find the behavior of pg_ctl connecting to the postmaster
_after_ it's started up to verify that it has indeed started up, to be
a rather broken behavior and think that it shouldn't be the default.
-sc

--
Sean Chittenden