Re: Backend often crashing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Backend often crashing
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:59:06PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> This is something that I think RPM distribution largely loses.
> Certainly if you only know how to install binary RPMs, you're dependent
> on the upstream folks to propagate fixes.  It might be okay if you build
> from a source RPM --- can anyone comment on how hard it is to merge
> locally-supplied diffs into a source RPM?  I've never tried to ...

It's not that hard.  With the upstream guys' supplied source RPM and the
open source worker's patch, it's a matter of adding a pointer to the
patch to the SPEC and rebuild.  But surely most people used to binary
RPMs hasn't ever built one from SRPM, let alone plain source.

"In a specialized industrial society, it would be a disaster
to have kids running around loose." (Paul Graham)