Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Perhaps better would be to throw a message message any time it is turned
> > on, reminding them it should not be left on.  Is that cleaner?
>
> Where are you going to throw a message to, if it's in postgresql.conf?
>
> Bleating in the postmaster log probably won't draw the attention of a
> user clueless enough to be trying this ;-)

Perhaps.  I'd bank more on the user checking the postmaster log than
being clueful enough not to use this, though, since the postmaster log
is pretty much a universal thing that has been around a long time
while this option hasn't.  Cluelessness about the use of a rather
esoteric option doesn't necessarily imply total cluelessness.  :-)

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com