Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Hacksaw
Subject Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?
Date
List pgsql-admin
> The reason:  I haven't used the RPMs, I went the "hard" route and did
> builds and installs.  This, in turn, forced me to read the
> install/upgrade documentation (very well written, kudos to the authors

Well, I've been a Unix geek for 14 years, and a professional sysadmin for
about 6 years. I don't find the configure; make; make install route very
interesting anymore. I like package managers a great deal.

In any case, the problem is one with the RPM's, and it won't be solved by
telling everyone to compile and install by hand. RPM's are extremely important
from an advocacy point of view. If you can say "Click and install, and five
minutes later you'll have a working relational database going", people will be
interested.

So, I'm all for Lamar's work. I'm just sorry I didn't spot his address before
I posted about this publicly.
--
Artistry repeats the unrepeatable.
http://www.hacksaw.org -- http://www.privatecircus.com -- KB1FVD